Although people have been using oil to hydrate their skin and hair for centuries, facial oils are a new addition to the typical skincare routine because of the powerful hydrating and nourishing properties they’re known for.
As facial oils are relatively new to the skincare scene, there are many misconceptions surrounding the product, the biggest being that it’s only suitable for people with dry skin. Facial oils actually work on all skin types - the trick is to find one that’s suitable for your skin type. People also often feel apprehensive about using face oil because oil is typically linked to problem skin, but using the right kind of oil can be a game changer for those who are looking to achieve a healthy and radiant glow.
Keep reading to discover more about the different types of facial oils and how they can help you achieve your most glowing complexion yet.
WHAT IS A FACE OIL?
Face oils nourish and hydrate the skin because they function as emollients which add moisture and as occlusives which lock in moisture. Face oils are made from a variety of plant-based oils that are rich in essential nutrients, fatty acids, antioxidants and nourishing compounds.
HOW DOES FACE OIL WORK?
Face oils provide long-lasting moisture and nutrients because they penetrate the deeper skin layers. While each type of oil has its own unique properties, face oils are an effective way to boost hydration and nourishment for all skin types. They also contain essential fatty acids which revitalise the skin by strengthening and repairing the lipid barrier which is part of the outermost layer of the skin.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Face oils are a major multitasking product that comes with endless benefits. Not only do they provide the skin with an extra layer of protection to trap in moisture, but face oils stimulate the skin’s natural collagen production, protect the skin from free radicals, brighten dull-looking skin, even out skin tone and correct discolouration. They also provide long-lasting hydration, reduce the signs of premature ageing and they create a dewy complexion look so they’re great for people who want to look glowing with minimal or no makeup.
THE BEST NATURAL OILS TO CONSIDER
The best type of face oils are natural, plant-based oils that are rich in fatty acids and skin-loving nutrients. Some of the best oils to consider adding to your skincare routine include:
- Tea tree oil. This essential oil helps to control the skin's natural oil production but must be diluted before applying to the skin to prevent irritations. Always look for products that contain tea tree oil instead of applying it directly to the skin.
- Argan oil. A luxe yet lightweight face oil, argan oil features fatty acids, vitamin E and linoleic acids which prevent moisture loss and soften the outermost skin layer.
- Jojoba Oil. An ultra-soothing, anti-inflammatory oil that helps resolve skin conditions. Jojoba oil also balances sebum production so it can be used to treat acne, problem skin and to prevent future breakouts.
- Rosehip oil. Known for its regenerative properties, this gentle oil is packed with antioxidants that support a healthy skin barrier and provide the skin with a radiant glow.
- Marula oil. Features key amino acids that help maintain a healthy skin barrier and reduces moisture loss to leave the skin nourished and hydrated.
- Coconut oil. Increases hydration and keeps the skin feeling supple. However, coconut oil is highly comedogenic and can clog pores easily so it's recommended to only use once a week.
HOW TO ADD FACE OIL TO YOUR ROUTINE
We always suggest introducing a new product gradually to your routine and only using it a few times a week so your skin can get used to it. Stop using a new product immediately if your skin reacts negatively (e.g.: breakouts, redness, irritations, etc.). For maximum hydration, we recommend adding a few drops of face oil into your moisturiser as part of your night time routine or applying it immediately after to lock in the benefits of the moisturiser. If you’re feeling apprehensive about using a face oil, you can try adding a sheet mask like GLIST to your routine. Not many people are aware that sheet masks feature oils, but we’ve formulated our Anti-Wrinkle Reviving Mask with both avocado oil, a natural oil that intensely moisturises and nourishes the skin and meadowfoam seed oil which brightens the skin, reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and protects the outer layer of the skin from damage. Our rescue mask, the Instant Rescue Purifying Mask, also features tea tree leaf oil which is known for its calming anti-inflammatory properties and for soothing dry skin which is recommended for people who experience acne or problem skin.