Our skin is a resilient and versatile organ but external factors such as humidity and pollution can cause havoc on our skin health and radiance. Now that summer has arrived and the humidity levels in the Middle East are rapidly increasing, it has never been more important to protect your skin from these elements and supplement it with products that strengthen the skin’s barrier function.
In this blog post, we explore the effects of humidity and pollution on the skin and share effective protective measures so you can maintain a healthy and glowing complexion throughout the summer and beyond.
How humidity affects your skin
Humidity is the measure of moisture in the air and exposing our skin to humid conditions can be both a positive and a negative for our complexion. A moderate amount of humidity can provide the skin with a certain amount of hydration, but excessive humidity levels can disrupt the skin’s natural moisture balance and contribute to various skin issues. Exposing our skin to high levels of humidity throughout the summer months can trigger an overproduction of sebum, the skin’s natural oil, which can lead to clogged pores, breakouts and an oily complexion. Humidity also creates the perfect condition for bacteria to live and thrive which can cause problem skin and acne flare-ups.
How Pollution affects your skin
No matter where we live, every day we expose our skin to pollution which is a serious concern for our skin’s overall health. People living in cities are even more susceptible to polluted air containing heavy metals and chemicals, which can trigger a range of damaging effects on our skin. Pollution causes oxidative stress which accelerates skin ageing and the development of fine lines and wrinkles and it can increase the skin’s sensitivity which leads to inflammation, redness and in some cases, eczema or rosacea. Blocked pores and a dull and uneven complexion are also results of pollution due to toxins settling on the skin’s surface.
How to Protect your skin
Thankfully, there are a range of ways to shield your skin from the effects of humidity and pollution so you can protect your skin’s vitality and long-term health. Making simple changes to your skincare routine can prevent potential damage to your skin and your skin barrier function so we recommend following these simple steps when you’re exposed to high levels of humidity and pollution.
- Use a gentle cleanser to wash your face in the morning and evening to remove any excess oil without stripping your skin of essential hydration. If you live in a highly polluted area or you’re exposed to excessive levels of humidity, we suggest double cleansing to ensure a more thorough clean.
- Exfoliate your skin once a week to remove dead skin cells. This will also promote cell renewal and will help to unclog blocked pores.
- Strengthen your skin’s natural defence mechanism by applying SPF 30 or higher every day. This will shield your skin from harmful UV rays and will also act as a barrier against pollutants.
- Add products to your routine that contain antioxidants such as niacinamide, centella asiatica extract and allantoin as these powerful ingredients reduce the effects of oxidative stress and inflammation and work to replenish the skin’s natural moisture levels.
- Strengthen your skin’s barrier function by using rich hydrating facial masks that feature active ingredients such as sodium polyglutamate and sodium hyaluronate to hydrate the deeper and surface layers of your skin.
- Use a lightweight and gentle moisturiser that features hyaluronic acid to maintain and replenish your skin’s optimal hydration levels.
- Refrain from excessively touching your face, always wash your face after working out and consider using a dehumidifier.
To the rescue
Face masks are a great way to protect your skin from the effects of humidity and pollution because they are both deeply hydrating and nourishing. We’ve formulated our Instant Rescue Purifying Mask with a rich source of natural bioactive and antioxidant ingredients such as centella asiatica extract and allantoin to gently restore the essential nutrients and hydration your skin needs after it has been exposed to humidity and pollution and it also helps to reduce inflammation and encourage cell regeneration. Our Anti-Wrinkle Reviving Mask features a high concentration of plant-based ingredients such as avocado oil, jania rubens extract, bacillus ferment and imperata cylindrica root extract which reduce inflammation and stimulate the skin’s natural production of collagen. We recommend adding these face masks to your skincare routine at least twice a week throughout the summer months so you can protect your skin from the elements and continue to enjoy a hydrated, supple and revitalised complexion.